Search on our blog

New Post

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Aussie duo reach show jumping final



Edwina Tops-Alexander of Australia rides Lintea Tequila during the individual jumping. © 2016 Getty Images
EQUESTRIAN: Edwina Tops-Alexander and Matt Williams have qualified through to the individual show jumping final on Friday.
It is the third consecutive Olympic individual final for Tops-Alexander and Williams’ second after the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. 
In today’s round, Tops-Alexander and her horse Lintea Tequila picked up four jumping penalties, bringing their qualifying total to nine and ranking to equal 23rd.
“She’s still on fire, still got plenty of energy in her,” said Tops-Alexander of her mare.
“She just got a little eager there and a little flat and I think it (the fault) came from the line before, but I was really happy with the way she jumped.
“She’s still in fighting spirit and I’m really happy with her performance.”
Tops-Alexander was the first rider to complete today’s course within the allocated time – it was something that only 14 in the field of 50 could replicate.
“Yesterday I was very disappointed that I was out of the time because for me that’s something that I don’t often have,” she said.
“It was something for me that I had to think about, but I didn’t have to rush her off her feet because she’s a fast horse.
“After watching the video yesterday I saw the places that I was too wide.”
While Tops-Alexander easily progressed, Williams faced a nervous wait to learn if he made the cut.
The individual show jumping final is open to the top 35 riders at the end of the three round qualification, but only three riders per nation can progress to the final.
Williams finished the qualification period in 36th position but he progresses to the final because two nations had four riders finish in the top 35.
“The horse gave me everything he could today, whatever the situation I couldn’t ask any more of him,” said Williams.
“He was never meant to be a horse to come to the Olympics, he just keeps surprising everyone.”
Williams and his horse Valinski S picked up six penalties (four jumping and two time) and this combined with results from the first two qualifying events gives him an overall total of 14, but with the scores now reset for the final Williams has his eye on a top 20 finish.
“He jumped a great round, the time is tight out there,” said Williams.
“I added a few strides in places knowing my horse, so I didn’t chase the time as I may have had an extra fault then. 
“He seems to be stepping up, every day he gets better and better.
“Our worst day is always our first day and he gets a day off tomorrow.
“It would be nice to have a top 20 finish again.”
Friday’s final is contested over two rounds – 35 start round A and from this the top 20 progress to round B.
Michelle Cook
olympics.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

coinpayu